With a history of worship and construction going back 1700 years, the High Cathedral of St. Peter in Trier is not only the oldest church in Germany, but also the oldest building still to be serving its original purpose as a cathedral to the present day. Together with the Liebfrauenkirche, the Dom has been on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1986.
In its entirety, the mighty structure of the cathedral is a compendium of European architectural and art history: all the phases from late antiquity to the present day can be traced, and all European epochs are represented in the decorative furnishings.
According to historical sources, the mother of Emperor Constantine, Helena, is said to have given her house to the Bishop of Trier, Agritius, to be used as a church building, and brought the robe of Christ, known as the Holy Robe, back to Trier from a pilgrimage. Archaeological excavations beneath the cathedral have indeed proved the existence of an ancient dwelling, while the safekeeping of the relic of Christ was documented for the first time in 1196.
Renovation work on the first basilica was followed in the 4th century by the construction of a monumental church which, with its four basilicas, was one of the largest church buildings of the 4th century. A large square section of the building was constructed around 340 CE, and still forms the structural core of the cathedral today. In the following years the cathedral was exposed to the vicissitudes of history. In the Middle Ages there were numerous extension and renovation measures, which are largely still preserved in the interior infrastructure of the cathedral. Extensive changes were also undertaken in the 18th century in the Baroque style, not least because of a fire in the cathedral. The last extensive restoration of the cathedral was completed in 1974.
Opening hours 1 November to 31 March: Daily 6.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. 1 April to 31 October: Daily 6.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Sightseeing visits are only possible when services are not being held.
Guided tours From the Sunday before Easter to 31 October: Daily at 2.00 p.m. Group tours by prior arrangement with the cathedral information office